Sunday, May 20, 2007

Buffalo Springs Triathlon Camp


Hah, my first tri camp was a blast! I got to pretend for two days that my job was training. It's a tough life, huh?!
.
Thursday night I was hanging out with some of the other people at the camp and I heard them talk about how it was supposed to be rainy and cold all weekend. I thought they were joking. But they weren't. Well, I hadn't packed ANY warm clothing! What I brought was based on the weather that week in Dallas - 70s & 80s and sunny!
.
So I show up to Buffalo Springs Lake on Friday at 7am for a 62-mile ride and it's about 50 degrees and raining. Of course all I have on is my short sleeve jersey and bibshort, feeling like a schmuck for not bringing the right gear. But the honest truth is that I was not cold once on the ride. I just had to block it out. About 20 miles into the ride, it was pouring down rain and I have the biggest grin on my face and was thinking to myself, "I'm the luckiest guy in the world right now!" And I am :)
.
Saturday we had an open water swim session from 7-9am. Then hill repeats on the bike on the 70.3 course from 10-11am, and then ran 11 miles with hill repeats on the course at 1pm. I haven't run that long or far in over 6 months because of the injury. So I was pumped to do that! A transition clinic followed and then it was time to eat. My appetite was insatiable! Seriously, I kept eating all night long and never got full.
.
Awesome trip.

No comments: