Sunday, July 8, 2007

Disco Mania!





The Disco "Duathlon" was held at Lake Ray Roberts for the second year running now. The first year (2005) it was at Lake Grapevine over by Sand Bass Point...I'll never forget it because that was my first tri! Wow, if I'd only have known maybe I never would have gotten started...jk!

The swim was 86'ed because the water levels are too high. Nobody would have believed that to be possible a year ago. So since a swim was not possible, another run was added...thus making it a duathlon - run, bike, run. It was my first one.

I took the first mile super easy...I knew that tons of people would go out too hard and that I would pass them on the bike. So I believe after the first mile I was 55th or so?! Whatever, no worries because I passed about 50 people on the bike. My success on the bike this year has been the biggest surprise for me...I didn't expect that but I have put in a ton of miles over the last year so most likely it is paying off (not to mention a better training program as well). The 5k felt good after the bike. I finished the race strong again and was very happy with the results.....6th place overall. I'll take it. But all in all, I really don't care about 6th place (I know, I can hear the snickers out there...), but it's true. To me the most important thing is that my confidence is growing and that my best years are yet to come.

Speaking of that, I read this the other day and it really fits where I'm at right now as far as training goes:
"If you have the desire to be the best, you must be willing to serve an
apprenticeship. It takes a very long time to become a master at any skill.
Typically, those who are new to the sport place too much pressure on themselves
to perform at a high level (ME!). By realizing that an apprenticeship is required, and committing to paying your dues over the long term, you will enjoy the journey more and enable yourself to achieve a higher level of ultimate performance."

I can be patient :P

Race Results click here

No comments: